IRP FAQ: Do I have to register my truck under IRP?

Kenworth truck


IRP requires the registration of “apportioned vehicles.” IRP defines an apportionable vehicle as any power unit that meets three conditions:

  1. It is used or intended for use in two or more IRP-member jurisdictions (the 48 contiguous U.S. states, the District of Columbia, and 10 Canadian provinces).
  2. It’s used, designed, or maintained primarily to transport freight (“property”).
  3. It has a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of 26,000 pounds (11,793.401 kg) or more, has three or more axles regardless of weight, or is used in a combination that exceeds 26,000 pounds GVW.

In trucking, IRP registration applies to power units only. As long as your trailer is properly registered, a trailer plate issued by your base jurisdiction will be valid in all IRP-member states and provinces.

If you plan to take a non-apportioned vehicle into or through another member jurisdiction, it will be subject to the trip permit provisions of IRP. While some member jurisdictions have bilateral agreements allowing limited operations in border communities without trip permits (“buffer zone agreements”), don’t count on it. Check with your provincial or state licensing office first.

Leave a Reply

Mailing Address
Box 65080 RPO North Hill
Calgary, AB T2N 4T6

Street Address
200, 2819 Centre St. NW
Calgary, AB T2E 2V7

Toll Free: 1.877.860.8025
Phone: 403.220.9829
Fax: 403.220.0603

Follow us on